Wednesday, December 7, 2011

3-Minute Retreat

Its been two years, maybe longer, since my friend Mary and
I discovered the 3-Minute Retreat. I can't speak for Mary,
yet I feel the need to confess:

the 3-Minute Retreat 
usually takes me 
more than 3 minutes.

The prompt I cherish most is the invitation to breathe, to be intentional, to slow down before beginning this time with God. Pausing my life, event momentarily, often changes my course.

It was within 3-Minute Retreat that I first discovered this:

A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before God, but God wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but God wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but God wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper.

When Elijah heard the quiet voice, he muffled his face with his great cloak, went to the mouth of the cave, and stood there. A quiet voice asked, "So Elijah, now tell me, what are you doing here?"

1 Kings 19 MSG

Elijah isn't afraid of God, he is afraid of people.

Me too.

The 3-Minute Retreat caresses the scars of my childhood faith, wounds associated with the traditional religious architecture:

Catholicism.


In Fellowship, a diverse multi-denominational community with a generous sprinkling of Catholic-Baptists - if such a thing exists? -
I am healing, growing and forgiving, appreciating human diversity in faith, meditating, thinking and praying.

Today, I am thinking and praying about adding 3-Minute Retreat to the resources offered on our website for the women in the strip clubs. I am moving cautiously, talking about it with God, asking people for help.

Will you try the 3-Minute Retreat? Let me know what you think?

Rw

.

3 comments:

Madhulika said...

Its lovely..!!

Anonymous said...

I'm finally catching up, and found so much in this one today. I have a lot of "favorite" passages in the bible, but the passage you quoted about Elijah is probably my single-most favorite of all. I really liked the 3-Minute Retreat; I am going to add it to my favorites list! Is there a little irony that it is a catholic site that heals your catholic wounds?

Rw said...

i often hear God laughing... "yup, there she goes..." like a mom watching her toddler race across the lawn toward the sandbox full of toys, knowing ahead of time the first aid and kisses for scratched knees and bumped chin is well within her repertoire. thx for reading! Rw