Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Morning

The birds are singing to the predawn gray, encouraging the arrival of the sun. I walk my middle-aged dogs first Harley, then Dozer as the sun crests the horizon and our neighbors wake.

Dozer stands as a sentinel at the living room window, waiting to bark at the paperboy. Harley and I move to the kitchen, unload the dishwasher and make a pot of coffee, find a couple of dog treats in the jar. We take one to Dozer.

I bring a steaming mug with me to my second floor office, and settle into the comfortable worn upholstery of my favorite chair. Harley climbs the stairs right behind me, curls up in my lap. I read and listen, open my day in prayer. Harley insists I pet his ears.

In the corner between two windows, my computer rests on a battered library table. Just beyond my reach, a simple paint-splattered wood chair waits, ready for my work to begin. I can spend hours here reading emails, writing responses, editing a manual, writing a blog for Trust30, formatting a book written by a friend with only the sun marking time.

Sometimes, Harley and I miss lunch.

Rw


Energy by Julia E
“The world belongs to the energetic.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson  It’s easy to blame our failure to meet our goals or to live our dream lives on a lack of energy, and we don’t always stop to think about the quality of energy in our lives. Yet we can choose to create and manage our own energy flow. Think of an instance when you’ve been so involved in an activity that you’ve lost track of time, and then identity the passions and energies you were feeding. Who was there with you? What were you doing? What will you do to make time for moments like that one more often? JE

No comments: