Thursday, July 7, 2011

191 Words

How many days start with a whine… a toddler-like but I waaaannt it? Yesterday, online at Barnes & Noble, I ordered 3 books $35. Then my daughter stopped by, so we grabbed dinner at a little place just down the street $27. Today, I read a plea for help on a friend’s blog and hesitate to donate $50, telling myself perhaps we can’t afford it.

How can we not?

Like a child throwing a tantrum at the mall, I latch onto things impulsively, not rationally. I am lured in by the anticipation of crisp pages in a new book. I ignore planning a meal, paying a local restaurant to cook for us instead.

I embrace the infantile impulse me me me.

Today, in the little red book I am reading each morning, Beth Moore explores God giving Paul an all-expenses paid trip to his destination Acts 26:29. She writes, [God] gives us what we need, not what we want.

Day 10 of the Trust30 Challenge asked: If you could spread your personal message right now to 1 million people, what would you say?

Today, I would say 2 words: Please Donate

Rw


Day 38
Worthwhile Day by Jessica Dang
“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could.”
What is one thing you can do that would make today worthwhile? What’s stopping you from getting started right now? JD

5 comments:

Interruption said...

This is a great post. I clicked on the link and saw that Beth Moore lives in Houston...my neck of the woods! It is a small world! I also clicked on the Donate link...have to get back to that one and read more. Thanks for sharing. Take care.

Peace, Nico

Rw said...

Kimberly Smith is doing awesome work caring for orphans in the Darfur region of Sudan. I had an opportunity to spend 4 days with her this spring. She is a force! Such FAITH! Rw

Rich P. said...

Also inspiring, and such a "small thing."

Namaste.
Rich

Unknown said...

"Today, I would say 2 words: Please Donate."

Definitely a profound path to happiness and fulfillment.

Great post.

Rw said...

is this Emerson experience powerful in part because we donate our time in reading and commenting and encouraging each others words? 'donate' seems to be a key to unlocking something essential within every human