Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Touched Twice

“I have had enough, LORD,” he said. “Take my life; I am
no better than my ancestors.” Then [Elijah] lay down under
the bush and fell asleep. All at once an angel touched him
and said, “Get up and eat.” He looked around, and there
by his head was some bread baked over hot coals, and
a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again.
The angel of the LORD came back a second time and
touched him and said, “Get up and eat, for the journey
is too much for you.” So he got up and ate and drank.
— 1 Kings 19:4-8 NIV excerpt

This verse is from the board gathering for Touched Twice United this past weekend. For the first time, my husband went with me, to Oswego IL where we gather from noon to noon. In a beautiful space we cook together, eat together, pray together. In the unstructured time before dinner, I bring up Bell v Driscoll with my friend Jc, which moves to an exploration of how Jesus ignores the Canaanite woman. We ask Bill to shed some light. I often wonder how this 5th grade GIRL, ended up in this place. I am not sure her husband has ever seen her like this.

The hospitality extends overnight, multiple bedrooms in the beautiful space invite us to sleep here, to watch the snow fall, safe and warm under the sturdy roof. In the wee morning hours, our executive director shovels the driveway, frees the plowed-in cars we left on the street.

My first Touched Twice United free clinic was Church With A Heart. I am inspired by the 3 founding volunteers who remain at the table, the men and women who embraced in 1996 the Touched Twice vision of free clinics in communities coast to coast by 2011, serving human need in Christ's name. I am amazed at the viral nature of the flash mob and awed by 113 churches coming together in Share the Hope.

I am embarrassed that in 170 blogs this awesome ministry is barely mentioned. I am thankful for my husband, who stepped in to help when I was exhausted.

I am grateful for God's ability to touch us twice, and breathe a new vision into Touched Twice United: the Elijah Project.

We serve an awesome God!

Rw
.
Tomorrow: a man gives me the shirt off his back.
.

No comments: