Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Unhinged

Then the Spirit sent [Jesus] out at once into the desert, and 
there he remained for forty days while Satan tempted him. 
During this time no one was with him but wild animals, 
and only the angels were there to care for him.

Like a mosquito buzzing in my ear, the word 'secular' said aloud, more than distracts me. I become unhinged. Hearing the word sets off warning sirens within me. I presume that what follows will be divisive, an 'us v. them' mentality, revealing an exclusionary mindset within the speaker.

Or is it within me?

I summarily dismiss the speaker, her or his humanity, based on 
3 simple syllables:

sec·u·lar

In becoming unhinged, do I embrace the enemy's invitation and willfully close my ears to the ideas that follow? Unlike Jesus who was sent there by the Spirit, do I scurry willingly into the desert at satan's beckoning? Forgoing the care of angels? Do I dismiss God's gifts in the person speaking, as I embrace my own judgmental and indignant prejudice?

prej·u·dice

an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Eliciting a similar response is another 3 syllable word:

right·eous·ness

In a world where we absorb our vocabulary in childhood, I become unhinged when people use words that feel threatening to me.

A 3-year-old's vocabulary typically is between 200 and 300 words, and many kids begin to string words together in short sentences.

I am a child, in need of the care of angels.

Rw
.

1 comment:

Gweb said...

This is tough. Speaking as a secular-type person (technically, at least), The word "religion" or "Christian" can make me feel unhinged too. I get where you're coming from.

I have had some very positive experiences lately though of being able to talk to open-minded people of faith without either of us becoming righteous or defensive. It was a very rewarding experience.