Saturday, November 5, 2011

EZ

I believed faith would be EZ:
  • an ancient stone stairway with beautiful wood handrails and arched windows framing breathtaking views
  • an urban fire escape connecting landings filled with pretty potted gardens and vintage stools for sitting
  • a well-maintained ladder anchored in a sturdy brick wall.
I believed my fear of heights would vanish and the path upward would be a straight forward list of 10 steps:

I, the Lord, am your God... no other gods besides me.
You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain.
Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day.
Honor your father and your mother.
You shall not kill.
You shall not commit adultery.
You shall not steal.
You shall not bear false witness.
You shall not covet your neighbor's spouse.
You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

It is not EZ. I am standing beneath a ladder fastened 40 feet in the air, maybe higher. Even with intense athletic training and Olympic-level gifted physical ability, I could not make a leap high enough to grasp and hang from the lowest rung. I am going to need help, lots and lots of help. I am going to need to do some work. I need to let go of my simple checklist and pride in my own behavior, ease my tight-fisted grasp on control.

My hands and heart need to be open:

Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
You shall love your neighbor as yourself.


"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, 
neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, 
nor any powers, neither height nor depth, 
nor anything else in all creation, 
will be able to separate us from the love of God 
that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Me + God ≠  EZ.

Rw

.



Upending Einstein

EZ copyright 2011 rjw (there's a book in here somewhere)

No comments: