Wednesday, November 30, 2011

a dress of Christmas green

My knees object a bit
as I kneel on the floor near the wood chest. I wipe the dust away with my shirt sleeve and open the lid.

An earthy cedar scent infuses the air. My hands touch the treasured memories held softly inside. Ribbon, tulle, polyester, satin, sequins, corduroy and lace. I uncover the fabric my fingertips seek.

Green velvet. A dress for a girl, size 3T.
I remember
a mother struggling,
a young woman exhausted.

Impoverished by circumstances.

Lost in a sea of crimson promises.

Burgundy dresses in velvety splendor, the color of berries and bright holiday reds, without a shade of deepest green.

Is velvet in a different shade the selfish desire of her childish heart?

A spark of joy cast into the black void of hopelessness, the sea of darkness she is drowning in this Christmas?

A wish for her children, a life path different from her own?

An abundant life, one she knows she can't provide?





Like Joseph
an earthly man
takes on a quest.

He wins my heart with
a dress of Christmas green.


And God will generously provide all you need
... and plenty left over to share with others.
2 Corinthians 9:8 NLT

Rw

No comments: