Monday, September 5, 2011

Garage

Summer was a time of residential relocation for our children,
items destined for donation or recycling deposited in our garage,
adding to the already dormant and dusty piles of boxes on my workbench. The swing in temperature, from 91º Thursday to
46º Sunday sends an impulse of urgency – a signal that fall,
then winter, are coming. I look ahead. A winter of scraping
ice and snow from windshields of cars parked outdoors
propels me from inaction. The garage needs to be cleaned
out ... perhaps the basement too.

Within
the
piled
turmoil
I will
find
treasure.

The stuffed donkey
a gift from my grandfather
who died when I was a child.

Collars and cremains
Midnight and Snowball
our first family dogs.

Ice skates
and
architectural
salvage.





If today I open my hands and release my clutter and keepsakes, the memories will remain. And, perhaps, making room in my home will make room in my heart.

Rw

No comments: