Saturday, August 20, 2011

Scratchy Summer Towels

Today, as I hang sheets out to dry on the clothesline in our back yard, I remember a wringer washer at the farmhouse where I lived as a child. I was afraid of getting my fingers caught in the rollers.

This morning, I pause a moment to wonder if maybe I once got my fingers pinched? Only a toddler at the time, it is unlikely I was tall enough to reach the rollers that squeezed water out of clothing, sheets and towels.

I am almost certain my parents didn't have a dryer. Mom alone carried baskets of wet laundry up the basement stairs, hung everything on a clothesline to dry. Doing our laundry with a wringer washer and clothesline had to be hard work.



Hanging sheets and towels on our clothesline is my summer indulgence, a simple task that purges that faded winter smell.
The faint body odors masked by fabric softeners and dryer sheets are released by sunshine and carried away by the wind.

I enjoy the crispness of the sheets and the feel of scratchy summer towels. Somehow time on the clothesline makes the sheets and towels new again.


Every child of God can defeat the world, and
our faith is what gives us this victory.
1 John 5:4 CEV


Rw


Photo Credit


No comments: