Saturday, August 27, 2011

Delight

I am dreaming. A vivid dream. A dream pulsating with sharp black and white images against backgrounds of gray horizons and concrete walls. My black lab mix, a middle-aged dog with stiffening joints, has become a young and healthy black colt. I no longer hold his leash in my hand, but a soft and flawless white rope that flows loosely against his mane. We are running, together, through a maze of concrete walls. Moonlight awaits us just around the next corner. A lush meadow of dew laden grass will caress his hooves and my bare feet. And we will run there too.

I am awake. I do not normally journal dreams, yet I am drawn tonight to find words to describe this experience. The utter freedom of running with a colt. A human body so healthy that anything is possible.

In 2008, I was asked to write my bio and chose to include Galatians 5:22-23 MSG. At the time it was all so new to me I had never even heard of the fruits of the Spirit. In 2011, in a Bible study with some friends, I am asked to choose a focus from this same passage. I choose gentleness (NIV), not needing to force our way in life (MSG).

The author of our Bible study challenges us to journal our thoughts about this statement: Soon, saying yes to God will no longer be a discipline of your heart but rather the delight of your life.

In her challenge, tonight I find the perfect word to capture the essence of my dream.

Delight.

Rw

local time 2:31 AM


No comments: