Thursday, October 13, 2011

Perfect Fit

As I read the story of Moses being asked by God to lead His people out of Egypt,
I am captivated by the barefoot man who stands before God and replies:

"Pardon your servant, Lord. I have never been eloquent, neither in the past nor since you have spoken to your servant. I am slow of speech and tongue."

God promises to help him speak, teach him what to say. Moses declines:

"Pardon your servant, Lord. Please send someone else." Exodus 4

Compared to the tired I Caaaaan't whine of my summer 2008, Moses' words are so respectful, so eloquent.

In the midst of our Bible study, I laugh. Leaning left I whisper into the ear of the woman next to me, "Great shoes. Are they comfortable?" In that moment, something within me envisioned God as Master Cobbler, a Maker of perfect-fitting shoes. I am a sloppy flip flop and leather clogs girl myself, but the friend sitting next to me wears stilettos with fun bows and buttons. Her shoe collection is a delicious visual shopping spree, a candy store for feet.

In 2008, as I let go of my fear, I quit whining I Caaaaan't and in a single breath shouted a Fine! filled with attitude.

God took it as a yes and offered me a pair of shoes called Whispered Hopes.

A perfect fit.

Rw

.

No comments: