Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Tennis Balls

A friend recently expressed concern about writing, “How do we know what we say today will be true a year from now? What if we write something that contradicts what we wrote before? Change our minds?”

Today, as I write, I discover that I won’t need a year to find out the answer. Within this Trust30 challenge I’ve already written enough pages to know that I don’t want to look back, searching for contradictions, checking to see if my writing today meshes with what I wrote just a couple weeks ago. The simple truth is, that if I write from the heart, my mind will grow and learn. New ideas will emerge and well-worn beliefs will be viewed with new perspective. Precepts in my heart will expand and evolve.

Day 18 Challenge
write down your top 3 dreams
now write down what’s holding you back from them

my visual
tennis balls bouncing out of their can

my audio
Can I Juggle?

yesterday, when asked to invent a future
the tennis balls were 
snow, white buckets, clean water
bouncing out of a can labeled
a world where people help each other

Today, alongside clean water and within a world where people help each other, I want peace in Sudan.

I want hope and healing and a future for the orphans, courage and sustenance for their amazing caregivers, and an end to the decades-long massacre of families. In her blog Kimberly L. Smith writes, “…be awash in a thunderstorm of prayer, and let it wash you upon Action’s Shore of giving, going, and shouting from the mountain tops so that others might join us.”

Give. Go. Shout.

My dream is to give, go and shout – to share the abundance of my middle-class American life with my neighbors in Sudan and the person sitting next to me, to speak up today so that others might hear, to risk being discarded by those who turn their backs, and to freely embrace the passionate people who join me.


Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits. All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people! 1 Cor 12:4-11 MSG excerpt

Kimberly L. Smith blog (Warning! Contains sensitive pictures.)


Dreams by Michael Rad
Abide in the simple and noble regions of thy life, obey thy heart. – Ralph Waldo Emerson Write down your top three dreams. Now write down what’s holding you back from them.

No comments: