Friday, June 10, 2011

Hiding Words

Echoing in the canyons of childhood memories is the message that I didn’t quite measure up.

Whether real or imagined, I internalized this barrier, which as an adult led me to be a Helper, someone who prefers working behind the scenes, alleviating burdens and responsibilities of others. While this is a good and kind impulse, it lacks spontaneity and uniqueness, my own passion.

During my career in graphic arts and printing, I cultivated proofreading as a survival skill. Later came editing, then writing – or rather rewriting. When a friend started a visitors’ guide for local tourists, I assisted with rewriting customer copy and producing articles on events and opportunities. I researched the advertisers’ websites and paraphrased copy. Occasionally, I wrote something somewhat original, but mostly I cleaned up the narratives of others, added a dash of sparkle – like a parrot expanding her vocabulary.

This past fall, a friend asked me to help publish her book, the story of her life journey and the early years of the nonprofit that is her passion. Later, she invited me to accompany her on a weekend retreat where she gifted each member of the nonprofit board a signed copy of her book – an amazing story, an awesome experience.

My author-friend did something I believed I could never do – she published her book, found the courage to put her words out there for all to see.

Just a few days ago, I was afforded the opportunity of a To Be Told workshop where each of us was asked to share her story, then share more of her story. In my telling, I used the words icky, icky and yucky – my vocabulary revealing a child-like immaturity, hiding my love of words.

Today, riding the cresting wave of my author-friend’s courage and the freedom I uncovered in To Be Told, I accept the Trust30 Challenge.

I step away from the Helper and come into the light. I am an Encourager, a speaker and writer of words, seeking to inspire others with courage, spirit and hope.



Learn more about telling your story at http://mhgs.edu/conferences/allenderconferences/The-Story-Workshop

My author-friend’s book is Touch Stone, the nonprofit is http://www.touchedtwiceunited.org




Divine Idea by Fabian Kruse
Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. – Ralph Waldo Emerson Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours? (Author: Fabian Kruse)

No comments: