Thursday, June 2, 2011

Heartbeat

Gwen Bell – 15 Minutes to Live
We are afraid of truth, afraid of fortune, afraid of death, and afraid of each other. Our age yields no great and perfect persons. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You just discovered you have fifteen minutes to live.
1. Set a timer for fifteen minutes.
2. Write the story that has to be written.
(Author: Gwen Bell)

If only 15 minutes remain before I die, then there is not much time. If it were 15 minutes before the world ends – and I am given the grace to know, what will I say? I will speak of grace. God’s grace. I will spend these last minutes holding the hand and the heart of my husband. I will think of our children and the people our children love, I will celebrate my sisters and my friends, my nieces and nephews, and the deep connections I have made along the way with my children of the heart. In the final 15 minutes that my heart beats, I reach out and take your hand. You are so very special. You are as God intended you to be, your gifts and joys, the life of grace laid out before you were a heartbeat in your mother’s womb. Every breath drawn on this earth is a gift. Each smile a glimpse of heaven. I ask you to stop and celebrate, to look back on the joy in your life, to re-encounter the moments when life felt so very right, the moments when every piece of the puzzle that is you fell into place and you were alive with every fiber in your being. Heart. Mind. Soul. Heart, Mind, Soul in Communion with God. Not the sterile churchy communion, but true Community. Heart on fire. Mind humming with possible impossibilities. Soul feeling so deeply that the passion comes alive. I will speak of grace. God’s grace, waiting for us, not just here on earth but in the next life. I believe that yes, we can take it with us – this life, our family and friends, the people we love. Christ died because He loves us. Reach for the grace. Today. Tomorrow. Forever.

No comments: