Wednesday, September 26, 2012

your book, her story

"It's your book!" Joanna does not like the suggestion that her name appear on the cover as co-author.
"But, it's our story." I think it is a great idea ... —John Sumbo, An Honest Look At A Mysterious Journey

The opening pages embraced me like a well-worn upholstered chair at the cabin of a friend, a familiar place and time, an unexpected starting point for a mysterious journey.

Is it my own junk? Or something in simply being human that makes me want to avoid stories like this one, the crushing medical issues, the helplessness of the hospital bed, the difficult road of convalescence? And in writing that question, I find that the direction I was taking this post has turned.

There is an urge to quit typing.

Tell her to bake a cheesecake. js

This is the best part, my favorite page, the opening of the chapter STUNNED ... a mirror in my heart to the story of Moses, a man who asks God to choose someone else.

God asks us to trust. We struggle.

When God is clearly calling us to take a step of faith, to act
in some way, I don't think He's too excited when
we sit around and talk about it some more ... 
even if we're talking to Him. js

In my borrowed copy of the book, the author has written a message to my friends Melinda and Larry, and beneath it, tucked into the lower right hand corner, a notation: Ps 23

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. 
He makes me lie down in green pastures, 
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul. 
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name’s sake. 
Even though I walk through the valley
of the shadow of death, 
I will fear no evil, for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 

You prepare a table before me in the presence
of my enemies. 
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows. 
Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life, 
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
forever.

Rw

Captivated by the story Perfect Fit
The bedside wife Artifact


No comments: