Saturday, April 4, 2020

Waiting


I wake at 6:15am ... it is Saturday, amid a pandemic. There is no work today, no place to go. Sleeping in is an attractive option, but I am awake. I walk softly to the kitchen, heat up yesterday's coffee (brewing a fresh pot feels too noisy) and open the blinds on the kitchen window to welcome the day.

I am waiting for the sun to rise.

Rain is expected. The two-story brick buildings and heavy gray clouds obscure the glory of a classic sunrise. Instead the deep shadows of the night slowly dissipate. The exterior trim framing the windows moves from murky gray to radiant white. The harsh illumination of the security light on the blossoming tree gives way to the softer, natural daylight. The gentle interplay of green leaves, brown stems, and delicate clusters of flowers calmly unfolds.

I open my devotional: "Look at the birds in the air. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, but your heavenly Father feeds them. And you know that you are worth much more than the birds."

The words remind me that God is good and faithful and calms the storm.

I pray, asking to trust God in the waiting, to be more like the birds.

R

Matthew 6:26


No comments: