Thursday, August 21, 2014

daily bread

The clock reads 6:00 a.m. The promise of a bright orange sky greets me as I let Harley out the front door. I feel peaceful this morning, the kind of peaceful that has been missing for awhile.

I put on the coffee and scoop dog food into Harley's bowl. I think about making toast. I think about bread, and the food pantry, and how often guests are disappointed that there aren't more sweets – cakes and cookies. At first glance it seems silly, then yes, I understand. I too crave the fleeting euphoria of sugar-infused sweets.

I am thankful. I am thankful for tangible gifts and people with generous hearts.

I am thankful for Jeff, the Brownberry rep, who drops off hundreds of loaves of beautiful bread each week.

I am thankful for sweets. I am thankful that my self-soothing addictions are caffeine and chocolate, sugar and salt – that I grew and outgrew my more deadly addictions: alcohol and promiscuity.

In the peace of this beautiful morning I feel the long arch of the universe, God's infinite plan for my life – for every life.

Rjw

No comments: